Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What a weekend!

Well, I don't know about you, but I had quite the weekend. Actually, I sort of didn't, but I will pretend I did anyway. I had a good friend come visit which was really nice because I have been a bit lonely lately. It was great to spend some time with someone who is close to me, and it was also nice to have someone around to take pictures of my latest accomplishment in yoga: the headstand/handstand. I have been working on getting into a handstand for a while, and I have finally gotten to a point where I can do it. Makes me wonder how I was ever able to when I was a child because man! it is hard!! Here is the photographic evidence of my progress:





Now that I think about it, I am not entirely sure I was able to do this as a child. At any rate, I'll admit that I am supported by the wall behind me, and in order to get into the position, I have walked my legs up another wall, but I think you will find that this is perfectly valid preparation for the full pose (which I am determined to get into eventually). So ignore my bare tummy and be happy for me!

This yogic triumph was followed by a second accomplishment on Sunday morning, when I ran the Bronx half-marathon in under two hours! For reference, it used to take my two hours (rarely less) to run 12 miles, so I am pretty excited to have run 13.1 miles in 1:58:28. Getting to the Bronx was an obnoxious, frustrating experience, and I almost didn't make it in time to start the race. Thanks, MTA, for your massively informative signage at the 110th St. A and B train stop, and for your efficiently-running trains. Generally I am a big supporter of you guys but you are pretty much on my shit list from now on because you really, really suck. I kind of wonder if you would be able to get away with such unreliable and shoddy service if you were serving an area other than upper Manhattan and the Bronx. I highly doubt that a population with more economic and social clout would have to put up with the same bull-shit. But I digress, and more importantly, I should thank Mike, who kept his calm and was reassuring and tolerant in the face my near-breakdown, and who never lost faith in the fact that we would, in fact, make it the race, and that we would do so on time. He then waited in the cold for two hours while I ran, and was supportive the entire time (although I cannot say for sure whether he was secretly cursing me in his mind. I am not too good at mind reading). So, Mike, thank you for being there for me, and for putting up with me in spite of how difficult I made it.

No comments: