Tuesday, March 4, 2008

So far, so good

Yesterday was Day 2 of my new weight-training commitment (I mean, Day 2 if you only count the days on which I am weight training, which so far has been Friday and Monday). I am proud to report that so far, I have been faithful to my schedule. I think this has more to do with the fact that I don't want to let someone else down than it does with my own personal commitment, but I guess you do whatever it takes, right?

On Friday I did a series of exercises that I adapted from a workout I found online at www.shape.com. Boy, was I in pain the next day. And the day after that. I mean, it may not have helped that I did the exercises and then did 90 minutes of yoga on the same day, but wow, I hadn't realized how thoroughly weak a lot of my muscles were. I mean, I had trouble sitting down from all of the one-legged squats and lunges I did. Ouch. It hurt.

Over the weekend I received a workout DVD I ordered through Netflix: Tank Top Arms, Bikini Belly, Boy Short Bottoms with Minna Lessig. In spite of its somewhat cheesy title, the DVD was pretty good. It is fun, keeps you from getting bored, and I felt like I was getting a good workout while doing it. My muscles are also sore (though not to the point where I can't move, like over the weekend) today, which is a good sign. My triceps and bum are especially feeling it. The DVD is divided into multiple sections: 1) warm-up; 2) tank top arms; 3) bikini belly; 4) boy short bottoms; 5) total body workout; 6) cool-down. You can do as much or as little as you want--I did the first four sections (which was about 45 minutes overall) before heading to my 75-minute yoga class and felt like I had worked my entire body pretty thoroughly. Now, I doubt it will be all that entertaining for men (unless you focus more on how pretty Minna Lessig is) but it is a great option for people who are trying to jump-start a workout routine.

1 comment:

zebeckras said...

I HATE one-legged squats. I haven't really done any lunges in that way but the squats were murder. Or maybe what I was doing were lunges and I haven't done squats. :P Oh well. I am sticking to our deal as well! I'm going to be looking for a new routine for next week though, partly because I'll have been doing the one I'm doing for three weeks and partly because I just hate it. So much. :P I mean, I'm definitely progressing and that's good, and I guess it's supposed to be hard but... ugh. it's not any FUN.