I just finished my first batch of soup and I cannot wait to get back from my yoga class this evening and chow down. I tasted it to see if I needed any more seasoning and it is delicious. I thought I would share the recipe, which is from a great cookbook called The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas.
Curried Red Lentil and Spinach Soup (makes 6 servings)
- ingredients: 1 T light olive oil; 1 large onion; finely chopped; 1.5 cups red lentils, rinsed (I used brown lentils); 1-2 t good quality curry powder; 1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the lentils and 6 c. water (I used 4 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups water) and bring to a simmer. Stir in 1 t. curry powder, cover, and simmer very gently for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When the lentils are mushy, stir in the spinach and check the consistency. If the soup is too thick, add about 1/2 cup water. Season with salt and additional curry powder, if desired.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes. If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or so to develop flavor. Heat through as needed before serving.
- Nutritional info: 100 calories; 2g total fat; 5g protein; 14g carbohydrate; 0mg cholesterol; 43mg sodium. This information does not include the added vegetable broth.